Arcadia is predominately an agricultural district as it has been since the selectors came here 140 years ago. The Goulburn River forms the western boundary of the area as it winds it way from the mountains to the Murray, this river has been the lifeblood to the people of the Goulburn.
Today there is a variety of agricultural pursuits followed by farmers in the district, sheep and cattle production, dairy farming, cereal cropping, there is also a small olive grove and cherry orchard. A thoroughbred horse stud is being established on the banks of the Goulburn close to the township; lifestyle and hobby farms also form part of the environment of the area. The township of Arcadia nestles on the banks of the Goulburn River about 3km west of the Goulburn Valley Freeway, easily accessible and yet as the Greek origin implies, "a place of rural solitude". Quite a number of residents travel into Shepparton each day to their place of employment and return in the evening to the relaxing atmosphere of Arcadia.
Main street Arcadia with the Community Centre/Fire Station to the left and the building that was previously the Arcadia Hall circa 1926 in the background.
One of the oldest houses in Arcadia circa 1900 and was the residence of the Manager of the Butter Factory
Stumpy and his friends who watch over all who pass along the Goulburn Valley Freeway.
On this page we would like to share with you the stories of some of the people who make up this community.